Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

What's new in theme design?

Started by Scrubmeister, Sep 06, 14, 01:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Well, once you set it up it works well but it does have pretty much all of the things you'd want for a site and is highly customizable.

I just installed myBB earlier but was too tired to play with it. I was falling asleep. LOL I'm going to check it out now...

Skhilled

LMAO! I installed the 1.6.x version of myBB by mistake and went into the admin and saw it was out of date. LOL Had to do it all over again. Anyhoo, The admin is easy to use but pretty extensive! I think it could be made more user-friendly but overall the admin setup isn't bad. I think phpBB is more powerful but myBB does have options to edit styles right in the admin. I'm sure Maxx loves that! ;)

Maxx

OK i just installed the phpBB, on test site will check it out and report back!

regards,
Maxx

Maxx

Doc, did you say they had something new they are working for phpBB, I like it but some features and mods are way out of date 2011 or so, ( ones that I want anyway ) the MyBB has them built right in and a Portal as well... man if they get together some these guys and make one that does it all and user friendly! :)

regards,
Maxx

Scrubmeister

Glad to see other forum software is getting better.

I'm going to stick to SMF for now. Been using it for years and I'm used to how everything works.

Sounds like some new theme skills might be needed if SMF progresses to the next level.

Skhilled

Quote from: Maxx on Sep 07, 14, 08:14:35 PM
Doc, did you say they had something new they are working for phpBB, I like it but some features and mods are way out of date 2011 or so, ( ones that I want anyway ) the MyBB has them built right in and a Portal as well... man if they get together some these guys and make one that does it all and user friendly! :)

regards,
Maxx

Yes, the current version is 3.0.12. But they are working up to 3.1 Final. They are at 3.1 RC3 atm for that one. Not sure how many more RC's they will have until final but they are moving pretty quickly through the RC versions. Some of the mods are outdated but there are a lot that are up to date. As long as they are only 1-2 versions behind they will work.

I do have a concern with mods being built in. What if they need to be updated? How does that work? Can only the mod be updated or do you have to wait for the entire forum to be updated?

Quote from: Scrubmeister on Sep 10, 14, 08:35:02 AM
Glad to see other forum software is getting better.

I'm going to stick to SMF for now. Been using it for years and I'm used to how everything works.

Sounds like some new theme skills might be needed if SMF progresses to the next level.

I have no plans to leave SMF...not now anyways. I've been with SMF for over 9 years. I'll at least stick around till 2.1 and see how that turns out. And people still need my help. :)

Yeah, coding will change for themes and mods so learning will be needed for both.

Maxx

I'll be sticky around with SMF and it's support, but just, want to keep busy testing other stuff, I'm mean even the SMF. As you know I'm still very much involved with other Portal system as well. Not gonna do too much with theme s fro now. Busy doing other stuff, I'm playing with the MyBB themes as we speak! and learn how it works and what is needed there!

Got s to keep up you know! :)

regards,
Maxx