Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

Which Themes are TinyPortal compatible?

Started by keithsnell, Nov 18, 15, 09:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithsnell

Hi Crip,

I'm in the process of updating my site (finally getting around to updating to SMF 2.0) and I'm in need of a new TinyPortal theme to replace my current one.  I can't really tell if the themes available on this site are all TinyPortal compatible.  Are they all compatible with TinyPortal or only specific themes?   If so, which ones?  Is there a list somewhere? 
Thanks,
Keith

maxx

All of Crip's themes should work well with TP, SP and Ezportal!
You should also update the SMF to 2.0.11, for security reasons among others!

Maxx

lurkalot

Quote from: keithsnell on Nov 18, 15, 09:36:18 PM
Hi Crip,

I'm in the process of updating my site (finally getting around to updating to SMF 2.0) and I'm in need of a new TinyPortal theme to replace my current one.  I can't really tell if the themes available on this site are all TinyPortal compatible.  Are they all compatible with TinyPortal or only specific themes?   If so, which ones?  Is there a list somewhere? 
Thanks,
Keith

If you're upgrading from SMF 1.1.x to SMF 2.0.x then you should be able to use any theme.  Tinyportal no longer requires a dedicated theme.

keithsnell

Quote from: lurkalot on Nov 21, 15, 03:20:29 PM

If you're upgrading from SMF 1.1.x to SMF 2.0.x then you should be able to use any theme.  Tinyportal no longer requires a dedicated theme.

Thank you.  Sorry about not responding earlier.  I thought I had "notify" selected on this post, so didn't check back for an answer as early as I should have.

I'm currently running TP 0.983, SMF 1.1.21 and Coppermine 1.5.40.  My planned upgrade path is to:
1. Uninstall TP 0.983
2. Unbridge Coppermine
3. Install SMF 2.0.11 and choose a new theme
4.  Bridge Coppermine with SMF 2.0 Bridge
5.  Install TP 1.1 and set up/verify blocks
6.  Reinstall CMPFetch

Do you foresee any problems with this upgrade path?  It is OK to skip from TP 0.983 directly to TP 1.1, as long as I am installing 1.1 to SMF 2.X?

Thanks again,
Keith

keithsnell

Quote from: maxx on Nov 19, 15, 12:14:02 AM

Maxx
Thank you Maxx.  Since you mention Ezportal, I'll take the opportunity to ask about portal preferences/recommendations.  I've seen the recommendations change over the years, based on which portal was getting the most support.  At one time, it looked like TP was a dead end because it was no longer getting support, but that seems to have changed.  Given that TP now seems to have a future, which portal would you recommend and why? 
(I'm looking for a portal that has easy front page layout, can link to an organized repository of articles, and will support articles and links posted by forum members (not just admin).  I'd also like the front page to look as if it was one single layout, not just a bunch of "blocks" thrown together on a page.)

Thanks again.  I know I'm diverging from "theme" support.  But this seemed like a good place to ask the question given that there are several (helpful) people here that have experience with both TP and EZportal.
Keith

lurkalot

Keith.  The only problem you might have is if you have some Tinyportal blocks custom coded to work with 093.  You might find some f your panels won't show. If that happens you'll need to start turning of your blocks one by one until you find out which block is causing the problem. Then seek help over at our Tinyportal support site.

Coppermine should go ok doing as you described, but you'll have to use the version of CMPFetch  from my thread here, http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,65412.0.html

I went through this exact same scenario on my photography site when SMF 2.0 came out. http://cameracraniums.com/forum/

lurkalot

Quote from: keithsnell on Nov 22, 15, 10:08:53 AM
Quote from: maxx on Nov 19, 15, 12:14:02 AM

Maxx
Thank you Maxx.  Since you mention Ezportal, I'll take the opportunity to ask about portal preferences/recommendations.  I've seen the recommendations change over the years, based on which portal was getting the most support.  At one time, it looked like TP was a dead end because it was no longer getting support, but that seems to have changed.  Given that TP now seems to have a future, which portal would you recommend and why? 
(I'm looking for a portal that has easy front page layout, can link to an organized repository of articles, and will support articles and links posted by forum members (not just admin).  I'd also like the front page to look as if it was one single layout, not just a bunch of "blocks" thrown together on a page.)

Thanks again.  I know I'm diverging from "theme" support.  But this seemed like a good place to ask the question given that there are several (helpful) people here that have experience with both TP and EZportal.
Keith

As Maxx is on the EzPortal team, and me Taking over the Tinyportal project, we are not the right people to ask this question. ;)

keithsnell

Quote from: lurkalot on Nov 22, 15, 10:11:13 AM
Keith.  The only problem you might have is if you have some Tinyportal blocks custom coded to work with 093.  You might find some f your panels won't show. If that happens you'll need to start turning of your blocks one by one until you find out which block is causing the problem. Then seek help over at our Tinyportal support site.

Coppermine should go ok doing as you described, but you'll have to use the version of CMPFetch  from my thread here, http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,65412.0.html

I went through this exact same scenario on my photography site when SMF 2.0 came out. http://cameracraniums.com/forum/
Thank you very much for the link to that version of CMPFetch.

I'll have to spend some time on your photography site when I get a free moment.  Photography is one of my passions.
Thanks,
Keith

keithsnell

Quote from: lurkalot on Nov 22, 15, 10:20:32 AM
As Maxx is on the EzPortal team, and me Taking over the Tinyportal project, we are not the right people to ask this question. ;)

Understand.  I will probably stick with what I know, which is Tinyportal.  I'm glad you are taking over the Tinyportal project.  Now that you are supporting it, that project seems to have a great future.
Keith

lurkalot

Keith, thanks. 

By the way just wanted to say the Tinyportal project is very much alive atm, and we'll be releasing another update shortly.  We also have a version working in SMF 2.1 beta 2 which is working very nicely atm. http://cctestsite.info/testsite3/