News:

We have *Free* SMF 2.0 & 2.1 Themes for Download and Support!

Main Menu

Recent Topics

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 10,737
  • Total Topics: 1,372
  • Online today: 229
  • Online ever: 879
  • (Jan 21, 20, 05:49:15 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 195
Total: 195

Registration Bots?

Started by Scrubmeister, Dec 17, 14, 10:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrubmeister

Any other SMF sites getting hit by these lately?

Seems we have been getting hammered. I shut off registration for a while because I am sick of dealing with it.  :P

Maxx

Yes I got about 60 in one night! Mine is turn off.\

lots off hacKing going on in the News

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

This is because you don't have your site secured properly. This time of year they are worse than any other time because of all of the money that is exchanged during the Christmas/Hanukkah season!

1.  You need anti-spam mods such as Stop Spammer and httpBL...install both! They connect to the stopforumspam.com and projecthoneypot.org databases, respectively. Anyone who tries to register and is already in those databases will be blocked or put into "Awaiting Activation"...depending on your settings.

2.  Use Anti-verification questions, if you have then turned on. If you don't then turn it on!!! Always use questions that do not have number for an answer or can be answered by a pre-schooler. However, you don't want anything too hard that they cannot answer and not join...

3.  Create a new membergroup that requires 3 posts to use PM's, sigs, and other features and sensitive areas of the forum. Use this as the default membergroup when users register. This gives you a chance to see if the new user is a spam bot or a real person or even a troublemaker. You'll know by the first 1-3 posts if they are legit or not.

This should stop them at the door without need for turning off registration. ;)

If someone does register that is suspect, you should run their info at stopforumspam.com and projecthoneypot.com to make sure. This does not mean that they are NOT spam bots but if they have been around they will already be in the databases.

Stop Spammer mod also has the option to report any that you do find which will help others as it will help you! Always report them!

If you do find any who have registered...report them, ban them, then delete the account.

Closing registration will only stop people from registering and they will not say nice things about your site! Not a good thing!  O0

Skhilled

Forgot to mention...

You must register at stopforumspam.com and projecthoneypot.org and get their API keys to enter into the mods after you install them. This will allow your forum to directly connect to theie databases to block spam bot entry into your forum upon registration.

Trust me...it is much less work than checking every single registrant or dealing with people complaining that they can't enter the site or them telling other bad things because they can't enter. ;)

If you disable registration, you are defeating the purpose of having a site...to get people to register! At the very least, you may wish to set registration to "Admin Activation".  But then you will still have to check each and every one...instead of letting the mods do most of the work for you and letting you spend your time doing other things you like to do.  ;)

Scrubmeister

I have all that on my site. No one has gotten on.

Its still a pain to delete constantly. I would support auto delete options.  :)

Jeff used to complain about all the security I had on my site. Said I had too much.

Maxx

We have many of those things and they still by pass a register, and be sides shutting down the registration will not hurt this site or my main, be cause they can get what they want with sign up, for now any way and
I know "support"!,  those whom come here we already know, and it's over a year with no one signing up that we anyway. I just deleted hundreds of dead members from this site and thousands from mine. and no one post but a few of ones we know!

I said it up top there are hackers not spammers, getting in all sites around the world, not spammer, hacker's :) Even SONY got hacked big time, for over seas!

we'll it keep this way till they figure a way to keep out hacks. we are not new at this at all, and I Myself have tried most all thoughts things you mentioned, and they all have issues! we have many installed here :) and my site! I test everything I can get my hands on.

Some one is hacking in an signing up many accounts, by-passing  the pre registration precess! possibly even some that know SMF well?

regards,
Maxx

Scrubmeister

If they hack my site for professional cleaners, they'll learn all our trade secrets!  ;D

Skhilled

They may learn to clean from top to bottom instead of bottom to top. LOL

Maxx

Wax On Wax Off!

We have a new way to sign up now! hope it works better!

regards,
Maxx