News:

We have *Free* SMF 2.0 & 2.1 Themes for Download and Support!

Main Menu

Recent Topics

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 10,737
  • Total Topics: 1,372
  • Online today: 229
  • Online ever: 879
  • (Jan 21, 20, 05:49:15 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Responsive Themes?

Started by Scrubmeister, Mar 18, 15, 09:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrubmeister

OK - So I've been doing some research on SMF mobile themes. Not much out there. I have come across descriptions of "responsive" themes that adjust to various devices such as phones, tablets, laptop, etc.

Haven't seen many of these. Is this something new? What makes a theme "responsive" ?

I have a smartphone now so I have tested a lot of sites to see what they look like. Seems the new phones download the regular template and show that. Requires a lot of scrolling.

Tapatalk is an app a  lot of people like to use because it shows well on mobile devices. Surely we can do better with theme designs?

maxx

The responsive themes, I think I have mention on many sites,  that  I and a few other have been others working with this idea for several years now!

There are a few thing that pop up, in the current and past versions of SMF that do not work well without a complete rewrite of the system.

The Beta  2.1 Smf is somewhat responsive on it own, but then you may have issue with the portals and other mods.
It's a long story, what I have done and tested. Bloc has work with this also and has made a few, but then again once you introduce table , panels and mods. then the issues begin!

there are sever ways to do this but, the systems need a complete template over haul!

But for now, your can set the theme at percentage not pixels, turn off side panel and if read the post? the poster side blocks gets in the way, so you'll need to scroll for now.

But still not give or in on this!

regards,
Maxx

Scrubmeister

What if you don't use portals?

What is it that creates "response"? Possible to modify older themes for this?

I get why Tapatalk is big with many mobile users. It fits the screen without scrolling. For site owners it lacks a lot of features though.  :P I would rather use a theme than a piece of software that I have no control over.

maxx

May ne view better, but the board.index.php uses tables and they need to deal with, they don't not respond and the poster table also will get in the way.
You may want to check out Bloc's new themes I think he have has redone all that made them into cells! I will check on that soon, kinda busy @ the moment!

The bootstrap is another way, but like I said SMF will not go for that att, they may in the Ver 3.0 if and when they get past the issues with the 2,1.
Some of us are working on this stuff, I think maybe Bloc, done the best at it so far... I still to check!

regards,
Maxx

maxx

Take a lot on your phone:
smf.surfacethemes.com/

This one I'm working on little at a time using bootstrap, but not all, trying to migrate most of the standard styles.

regards,
Maxx

Scrubmeister

Maxx - Better than stock theme but still not super mobile friendly?

I have quite a few forums bookmarked in my browser. Have checked most to see what they look like on a mobile device. Sadly most look pretty bad.

We need to do better than that with forums. If more people are using mobile devices they won't be interested in a poor looking site. The reason there is an "app" for most sites is the appearance and mobile functions.

maxx

All though we try hard to please... I still stay; I like to go, where I want to go, and see what I want to see, on the net. I'd only wish they had an APP that would unlock the need to have a App!
Are we not paying enough for things, that we need not! Someone needs to  stop the madness!
That phone is not smarter than you!
I you like to learn..dust off the PC or Laptop and do some real work with a real tool.
Now days no one can go anywhere, or do most anything with out that thing, leading you where you don't want to go!
lol, O well just get another App!
I have a windows phone can not even put in a Browser I like, what's that tell you! ( surely there are way around this), but, with the PC, No bother just get it done, and give your brain a chance the think!
Had other tabs and phones. one let you put in your browser, but no flash with out another app, that takes you to another site, and you loose the one your own, before you get to book mark it! They all have some trick to them!

And putting all you eggs in one basket, never was and never will be good thing!
Just speaking in general and not meaning offend, Just saying ! IMHO..

regards,
Maxx

Scrubmeister

Maxx - I don't disagree with you. That's why I like the idea of one theme to do it all if possible.

maxx

I know Scrubby, but the problem is not only the theme, its the System it's self and a re write of that and all the issues that go with, the last time check with my windows phone the site was not that hard to deal with!

But all this in in vain because of the big boys are taking control over everything.
They Monopolizing everything can people see that! :)
Not giving u-p hope, but I don't have that much time as some younger may have to make a difference in the control over all things!

I started in 1995 long time watching, Working and learning the Ways of the web!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Yeah, the problem with premade software like SMF, WP, etc. is the coding was not designed for mobile themes. Also, just like various browsers, themes may look differently and work differently on different devices. This depends on the firmware, OS installed, and screen size. Think a small cell phone which has a small portrait display vs a 10" tablet that can display portrait and landscape views.

SMf currently has only one pretty decent mobile theme availble and it is a paid version.

http://smf-media.com/

Hopefully, SMF 2.1 will add the proper coding in the release version so most devices can view it without so many hassles.

maxx

Yes SMF 2.1 may just be, as responsive as possible, without a complete re write of the system. Even the complete mobile plug ins,  I've seen for for board and stuff, only give basic frame of things the, site themes not use much in them. just real basic stuff.

I'm just hope that many wake up and not put all their faith and eggs in one basket, this is very dangerous, I don't care what they say about security, things are all but secure .. with your private matters, when ever you set up an account on the major sites, that are under attack daily, that's not very smart, and peeps, putting all there bank and all that on phone.. Not a smart move IMHO!
I only wish the technology is used for the right reason, and this cloud business is another wrench in my gears!
A little off topic but, need to know stuff!
The net is not a safe place, and being social is the worst in my book!

I'm just getting to old :)
thing are not what them seem!

Skhilled

The world has never been a safe place. This is why security has always been my top priority on the net.

yorkie

How about SSL support?

maxx

yorkie,

Welcome to our site!
I'm not and expert on Security but have been work on the net for many years , It seems security is big issue these days, I for will not trust many place if any 100 percent!

SSL is great but seems some may have hacked it, in some occasions. If you are going for a Business site,  like a store this is a must have but, not 100 percent. in my opinion, if man made it, man can break it!
Constant monitoring  and maintaining is a good thing!

regards,
Maxx