News:

We have *Free* SMF 2.0 & 2.1 Themes for Download and Support!

Main Menu

Recent Topics

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 10,749
  • Total Topics: 1,374
  • Online today: 515
  • Online ever: 879
  • (Jan 21, 20, 05:49:15 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 469
Total: 469

Trying to get new_some.gif

Started by renderboy, Oct 07, 11, 07:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renderboy

Hi Crip,

I'm running SMF 1.1.11 with one of your older themes called "description1111". It's got a blue and white color scheme.

Right now, when inside a forum, the word "new" appears next to threads that have new posts, and I'd really like to have an icon appear there instead.

In the Themes/description1111 directory, there is an index.php, and an index.template.php but no other php files.
In the Themes/description1111/images directory there are new_some.gif and new_none.gif files that look okay, but they're not listed anywhere in the PHP files.

I think code needs to be added to the index.template.php to make them appear, but I don't know PHP.  I can copy and paste the code into a post, or attach either of the PHP files if it would help.

Maxx

OK in your image folder you should also have the "on" and the "on2" and "redirect" gif's or PNG in the newer themes.

unless they had different names back then?

Did you consider updating your SMF version? But it's cool to keep it that way, but you may not find much support for it!

Also please give us a link so we can have a look at the problem!

regards,
Maxx

renderboy

Hi Maxx,

There's an on.gif and on2.gif in the images folder. No sign of a redirect.gif, though. What's it used for?

It's a private forum for an indie dev team, so I can't give a link, but I can make a couple of marked-up screenshots if it would help show the theme/issue.

We haven't had any other issues. At the forum level, everything works fine -- icons change state next to forum names when there are new posts within. The trouble is, of course,  once they're in a forum and the thread list is displayed, the "new" text makes it hard for members to see which posts contain new material because the text is the same font, face, and size as the thread name. A graphic would make it much easier on the eyes.

For security and features, I'd very much like to update to one of the newer versions, but we can't do that until current project testing is complete, so I'm handcuffed to 1.1.11 for now.

Crip

hi ,
PM me your site & theme?...?

Pic::::|

[attachment deleted by admin]
I have become comfortably numb!

No PM's for Support unless invited! 

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -
TOTM Winner.

renderboy

Hi Crip,

I've PMed you and am happy to report that the issue is resolved.

It turns out that the problem was that the board was looking for the "new.gif" graphic in the Themes/description1111/images/english-utf8 directory, but that directory didn't exist. We only had a /english directory. So the boards were showing the text description of the image instead. (Kinda like an ALT image tag in HTML I guess?)

Added an english-utf8 directory and dropped in the new.gif and now it works great.

Many thanks!

Crip

I have become comfortably numb!

No PM's for Support unless invited! 

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -
TOTM Winner.