News:

On Deck: Next is "DarkModern" For SMF 2.1.4! ;)

Main Menu

Recent Topics

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 10,737
  • Total Topics: 1,372
  • Online today: 229
  • Online ever: 879
  • (Jan 21, 20, 05:49:15 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 185
Total: 185

Vintage

Started by Cycle, Jan 06, 13, 09:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cycle

We've been running the "Vintage" theme for quite a few years, and we're at version 1.1.17 . At this time I've become tired of clearing the "Manage Membership" page of "Comment Spammers" "Spam Bots" etc, etc.. I think we're up to 31 pages of me "Banning" IP Addresses, User Names, and Email Addresses...   :laugh: I'm rejecting approximately 50-100 "Joining" members a day. Two times a day I'm clearing the page.  :crazy2:

The fellow who setup the website for us originally is difficult to get in contact with, and isn't always willing to make changes on the theme.

Any help available with this ?

Crip

Hi,
"(Vintage Theme)" I made , but what is it specifically you need help with??
I have become comfortably numb!

No PM's for Support unless invited! 

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -
TOTM Winner.

Maxx

Quote from: Cycle on Jan 06, 13, 09:57:08 PM
We've been running the "Vintage" theme for quite a few years, and we're at version 1.1.17 . At this time I've become tired of clearing the "Manage Membership" page of "Comment Spammers" "Spam Bots" etc, etc.. I think we're up to 31 pages of me "Banning" IP Addresses, User Names, and Email Addresses...   :laugh: I'm rejecting approximately 50-100 "Joining" members a day. Two times a day I'm clearing the page.  :crazy2:

The fellow who setup the website for us originally is difficult to get in contact with, and isn't always willing to make changes on the theme.

Any help available with this ?

under your admin security settings> anti spam > at the bottom you can ask question that are pre- set buy you to authenticate that they are humans and not robots>

Please note not sure about the old versions of SMF, but if not you'll need to upgrade your SMF to the current version>

Any trouble, let us have temp admin permission so we can check the out for you!

regards,
Maxx

Cycle

Quote from: Maxx on Jan 07, 13, 11:02:21 AM

Please note not sure about the old versions of SMF, but if not you'll need to upgrade your SMF to the current version>

Any trouble, let us have temp admin permission so we can check the out for you!

regards,
Maxx

I think we're outdated as far as compared to the new version of SMF.

Example: We have

Required strength for user passwords (?):Low- character minimum
                                                                   Medium- cannot contain username
                                                                   High- high mixture of different characters
This is a sample of the choices we have as far as setting security. There's no area to set-up  "Security Questions" etc.
We're a little behind the times I believe.

Maxx I've set you up as an Admin. and your username is Maxx and I've PM'ed you your password.

Cycle

And Mr.Jeff, I have taken the liberty to set you up as an Admin. also, and your username is Crip. Your password is en route as well if you'd like to have a look around, since it's originally your baby.  :laugh:

ZarPrime

Yeah, actually, I don't believe the security questions were added until SMF 2.x came out but they do help.  Also, SMF2 is much better with security issues than SMF 1.x.  Combine that with the fact that Crip really isn't doing much as far as designing new themes  for SMF 1.X and your best bet will probably be to eventually migrate to SMF 2.X, latest stable version 2.0.3 though we are doing some testing with SMF 2.1 at this point though I doubt that Crip will be releasing any 2.1 versions of themes until it has been officially released.

As for the Vintage theme, I remember the name but it's so old, I don't remember what it even looks like. ;)

Crip

@ ZarPrime ===
Vintage Theme pic:

- Abraham Lincoln -
TOTM Winner.

Crip

I have your info , I'll get a look ASAP!

Quote from: Cycle on Jan 07, 13, 11:22:19 PM
And Mr.Jeff, I have taken the liberty to set you up as an Admin. also, and your username is Crip. Your password is en route as well if you'd like to have a look around, since it's originally your baby.  :laugh:

- Abraham Lincoln -
TOTM Winner.

Maxx

yes guys I was thinking he may need to upgrade, how ever I don't know itf the Capatcha or what it's called has that version available We/He could Check the SMF mods  for it!

KeyCaptcha
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2839
NOTE will work for him!!!

regards,
Maxx

Scrubmeister

I would upgrade to the newest SMF software and add some mods like:

Add security verification to the Login page
Bad Behavior mod
cb|Emailogin
Stop Spammer
Bot Buster
Anti-Spam Links
Login Security

You can add some or all. Descriptions and downloads are over at the SMF site. The latest software version is more secure than older ones too.

We've been using these because of all the fake posters and spammers. I would have given up our site if I still had to deal with spammers manually. It just takes to long.  :P

At one point we went overboard with security at US Cleaners Network (as Crip can tell you  ;D). We've cut back a bit and found a happy medium.