Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

Black Rain & Ajax Chat

Started by mikedbom, Feb 09, 11, 11:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikedbom

So I have the Black Rain Theme running on my forum and was trying to install the Ajax Chat 3.2.1.  Short story, I keep getting the Error 500 in the shoutbox. 

I have followed the instructions from the Simple Machines forum regarding changing of the permissions on the two index.php files in the shout and chat folders.  This has not worked for me.  I have checked the forum permissions and everything is good.  I can see the shout box but the error pops up in it.  Also, the chat menu button does not appear.  I was thinking this might be due to the Theme.  If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Mike B.

mikedbom

btw, i am running SMF 1.1.12

Crip

.. hi,

i did hear , that was a difficult App. / Mod to get working correctly... Doe's it work s should on your Default Theme??
I have become comfortably numb!

No PM's for Support unless invited! 

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -
TOTM Winner.

mikedbom

I haven't tried disabling the theme and trying the default. I will give that a shot tonight.

Does anyone know of an alternative if I can't get  Ajax Chat to work?

mikedbom

I'm looking for quick n dirty instructions on how to add a button to the top menu that will link and external site. I tried using a method from the SM Forums but I think there was something missing.
SM 1.1.12
Thanks.

ZarPrime

You don't have to disable the theme to try the Mod on the default theme, you just have to switch your forum to the default theme and try it.

I've heard that the Ajax Chat Mod had not been updated to work with the latest versions of SMF but I also heard that the developer, or someone, plans to update it when SMF 2.0 goes Gold.  I don't really get into chat rooms though so I don't know if there are any alternatives.

However, I've been looking at something that I might do some work on a little later that will work with a TinyPortal Article.  I can't say anything about it yet but, when I do it, it will be announced over at the TP Support Site.

ZarPrime

mikedbom

I like this particular Chat Mod because of the shoutbox.  it gives me an opportunity to get a visitor's attention if I want to talk to them or say hi.  chat is also a good way to have the conversation quickly instead of posting back and forth. 

mikedbom

Tried the chat on a default theme and still the same 500 error, however, the CHAT button appears in the menu bar now.  I didnt try messing with permissions again. 

willemjan

We give support on Crip's themes only. You should ask this at the SM site ;)

ZarPrime

Well, the "500 Internal Server Error" is a generic error message, given when no more specific message is suitable.  You may be able to look in your Server Error log (not your Forum error log) to get more information on the error.  In this case, your host may be able to help you with this.

However, please be aware that this is a support site for Crip's themes.  We really don't have the capability here to help people with Mods that aren't included with a default installation of SMF.

The reason that the Chat tab shows up in the default theme but not with the custom theme is because all SMF Mods are designed to work with the default SMF core theme.  If they are to be used with a custom theme for an SMF version prior to SMF 2.0 RC3, for instance SMF 1.1.12, the chat tab will have to be added to the custom theme.

Now, this is important ~ If the Mod doesn't work on the default SMF theme, it won't work on the custom theme either.  A Mod MUST always work properly with the default theme first before attempting to make it work with a custom theme.  I suggest that you post any issue with getting the Mod to work on the default theme at the Mod topic at SMF.

ZarPrime