Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

New to Cripzone, new to forums generally

Started by nidec, Sep 20, 19, 09:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nidec

Hi, Im new to this so fingers crossed.
Ive created a forum www.NotTheNoobs.com  using Cleantek which I really like, but there are a few things Id like to tweak, if anyone can help me

First off, I wasnt expecting to go straight to the forum, I was expecting a sort of website home or landing page where I could talk a bit about the forums objectives, with a link to the forum itself. Is this doable?

Second, I want to reorder and rename some of the buttons (Home, Help, Search, etc)

Thirdly, can I add a news stream in place of the manually-entered new at the top left of the page?

Thanks in advance,

Nidec

Skhilled

Hello, nidec and welcome to CZ! :)

1. You would need to install a portal such as Tinyportal, Simple Portal, or EZ Portal. Either one of those will give you the ability to automatically have a Home page as well as creating extra pages and articles. You can also use premade blocks or create your own blocks as you see on this and other sites.

2.  The code for the buttons is in /Sources/Subs.php, near the bottom of the file. Make sure you back the file up before editing it.

3.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by "manually-entered new at the top left of the page". Please explain or show me a screenshot of what you are talking about.

nidec

Hi Skhilled, thanks for the quick reply.

On the news feed question, ive made a mistype. It should have read 'Can I add a news stream in place of the manually-entered news at the top left of the page?"   By this I mean the News article underneath the website name on https://notthenoobs.com/index.php

Skhilled

LOL, OK I did not see that before when I went to your site. The site didn't look like that earlier but I thought that's what you meant.

I assume you could add a "news stream" but still not sure what you mean by "news stream". I'm guessing you mean adding something that will automatically add new news from a source on your site or from other sites to that area. If so, then not that I'm aware of. That is part of SMF and I'm not aware of something that would do that. You would have to check at smf support.

You could however create a block that might accomplish that. I'd check with the TP site as they may be able to create what you're asking if it cannot be done already.

nidec

The Tiny portal worked a treat,  thanks,  and really easy to install

nidec

Ive added a ticker tape showing live share and forex prices.
Is there a way to remove the "News" like we have at top left on this site?

One other thing,  ive noticed that if I click on my forum url in my 1st post above I get an old version that used to show before I did the repair to make everything https instead of http (does that make sense? )

Skhilled

The news can be enabled or disabled in the Current Theme settings. Go to Admin -> Configuration -> Current Theme. Then uncheck this setting: "Show news fader on board index:" then click Save.

The difference between the URL of your site in the first post here and the new one is that the one here uses "www." and the new one doesn't. I'm pretty sure that you've set up HTTPS for using the URL without it and need to add "www." as well so both will show the same way. I suggest that you use what's in the first post of this link on my site. It will help:

How To Force HTTP to HTTPS

The search box at the top right is a tad obscured. I think the ticker tape is causing that. However, you can fix it by changing the padding in this code:
In /Themes/CleanTek/css/index.css, line 3640 you should find this:

#searcharea {
    position: relative;
    float: right;
    clear: both;
    z-index: 1001;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 3.5em 35px 0 0;
}

Change it to this:
#searcharea {
    position: relative;
    float: right;
    clear: both;
    z-index: 1001;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 1.5em 35px 0 0;
}

It will move the search box up a little so you can see all of it.  O0

nidec

Hi,
done the search box padding---thanks
removed the news---thanks

struggling with the .htaccess
My cpanel says I already have this but I cant see it anywhere,  and because it reckons I already have one it wont let me add one of my own

nidec

The Cleantek theme doesnt seem to be showing, even my logo (which is linked to the theme) has gone.
Is there an issue I can resolve? Do I need to download the Cleantek theme again or is it something else?

Skhilled

Quote from: nidec on Oct 10, 19, 12:32:43 PM
struggling with the .htaccess
My cpanel says I already have this but I cant see it anywhere,  and because it reckons I already have one it wont let me add one of my own

It's already there. You have to make dotfiles show cause are they are hidden by default. Go into File Manager and click "Settings" at the top right. You'll want to enable "Show Hidden Files (dotfiles) " then click Save. You should then be able to see it. ;)

Quote from: nidec on Oct 10, 19, 05:33:38 PM
The Cleantek theme doesnt seem to be showing, even my logo (which is linked to the theme) has gone.
Is there an issue I can resolve? Do I need to download the Cleantek theme again or is it something else?

It appears that you've created a redirect so everything redirects to www. You'll want to change it so it redirects to the URL without www. so it will work. I'm not sure what you've done so that www. doesn't work and without it does. I suggest that you run repair_settings.php to make sure all of your links are set properly. If you do not know how to do this you can just download it from the link below. Upload it to your forum's root folder then run it in your browser like this: https://notthenoobs.com/repair_settings.php

Remember to delete that file after you are finished with it. Btw, do not click "Remove hooks" or your mods will not work and you'll need to reinstall them.

https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?tools

EDIT: You should also go into the theme settings which may repair the missing parts of the theme. Go to Admin -> Configuration -> Themes and Layout... -> Theme Settings and click the "Attempt to reset all themes" button at the bottom of the page.