Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 194
Total: 194

Skins 2.0 Wishlist

Started by adonismale, Aug 24, 13, 09:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adonismale

This is a wishlist of things that I'd like to see in future skins, which I think would help keep SMF on the modern edge:

- Endless scrolling
- Inclusion of social media

ZarPrime

Quote from: adonismale on Aug 24, 13, 09:25:31 PM
- Endless scrolling
- Inclusion of social media

Could you explain what you mean by these please?

ZarPrime

adonismale

Yeah sure.

Endless scrolling -- On forum pages, once a user reaches the bottom, the page will automatically expand down to include the next page of responses.  This would be akin to a Tumblr dashboard.

Inclusion of social media -- This could be something as simple as adding social media icons to the community index, although deeper integration could be added such as sharing with the four major social networks.

Responsive design -- (This is a new one).  Allow the website to render appropriately across a wide range of devices, with functions such as resizing, panning, and scrolling work optimally.

Please note that these suggestions are entirely just that, and are meant only to encourage you to try innovative new things on your skins!   

ZarPrime

Quote from: adonismale on Aug 24, 13, 11:19:27 PM
Endless scrolling -- On forum pages, once a user reaches the bottom, the page will automatically expand down to include the next page of responses.  This would be akin to a Tumblr dashboard.

Hmmm, well, though it's not automatic, there are ways to make SMF show any number of posts on the same page.  Being able to do this automatically sounds like something that should be left up to an SMF mod, perhaps using something like jquery or Ajax, though I am not aware of any mods that do something like this.  Can you give me a link to a Tumblr page that does something like this so that I can see if I can figure out how it works?

Inclusion of social media -- This could be something as simple as adding social media icons to the community index, although deeper integration could be added such as sharing with the four major social networks.

Well, there are some SMF Mods that do things like this already.  Try this link to search for them --> http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=social

In addition, at least one of the portal mods, TinyPortal, which we use here, makes use of some social icons in their article system.  Check this link, and look at the very top, below the navigation area, and you can see the social icons --> http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?page=recent

Responsive design -- (This is a new one).  Allow the website to render appropriately across a wide range of devices, with functions such as resizing, panning, and scrolling work optimally.

Interesting that you should mention this.  Work is ongoing to make smartphone and tablet browsers work the same as regular computer browsers.  This is an ongoing process.

ZarPrime

Crip

Myself, I don't Like the social stuff 1 bit on a Theme .. doubt i will ever make 1..
..JMHO
I have become comfortably numb!

No PM's for Support unless invited! 

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -
TOTM Winner.

Maxx

The only situation I could vision the scrolling pages for is the Table or mobile type usage, but if you want to change the page on the SMF you only need to click next or the Page number.

The option you are looking for is normally used on Word press and social site systems SYStem and themes).
although all of us are constantly thinking in the direction of the handheld devices, there is only so far one can go, without rewriting the whole system the "nice to have " .

Some of the Word Press themes or other CMS skins, will cost you allot and to have this custom do, same goes.

Now Back to earth, we are talking Crip's Free themes and SMF!

regards,
Maxx